7 November 2011

The Track to the Woods

I can tell you it took me a very long time to paint this - endlessly scraping back the paint and re-applying until in the end I was ready to throw it across the room and forget the whole thing! I'd put too much paint on and had completely lost what I was trying to do. There was one last thing to try and it worked! I Tonked it! I laid a sheet of newspaper over the whole thing smoothed it over and pulled it away, did this about 4 times and - presto a completely different painting, I worked into it a little, adjusting highlights and colour accents for about half an hour until I had it. I'm really happy with the result and finally achieved what i set out to do... A Monet-esque contre-jour* landscape. I'm really pleased with it.

The Track to the Woods. Oil. £99
click image to see larger
Detail of above
* with thanks to Making a Mark

2 comments:

  1. I love your description of wanting the throw the canvas across the room. I have been feeling a lot like that myself lately. I don't know if it is the season or the madness of three small children and christmas but everything I touch turned to utter mediocrity. It gives to hope to see such a beautiful painting emerged from the agony. As my teacher tells me, a painting is nothing but a series of mistakes and renegotiation. The stronger the agony, the better the eventual result!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it's a pity we must go through such agony sometimes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...